Have a sweet ride? Tell us all about here!
By GT4LIFE
Posts Avatar
I’ll wait until summer break to order up the carpet, and the new tires. The last thing I want is a brand new carpet waiting to install in storage, and the 30 day return window disappearing. I also don’t want to deal with clearance issues on new tires as I will be returning to my commute mid April. I’ll settle for a deep clean and vacuum today.
By GT4LIFE
Posts Avatar
I got a package from Megazip today. The left and right exterior door trim, and the left and right exterior rear mid fender trim. I’ll post up some pictures after I install.
By GT4LIFE
Posts Avatar
I need to make my to due list for Summer:

Install Koni rear struts
Check air inlets on air bags (the right one only holds for a few days; although right now it is holding just fine)
Replace right rear spindle/knuckle (have new in box)
Lube bushings
Replace front Lower control arms
Press out new front bushings, and swap rear bushings
Lube entire front bushing assembly
Measure front/rear sway bars ( I saw that Energy Suspension has a larger selection now of bushings with zerk fittings)
Purchase Turbonetics T3 50
Weld up down pipe to match
Purchase summer wheels Yokohama 205 50 15 ADVAN A052
Remove O.E.M. carpet and install rest of the Dynamax on floors + driver door
Install Dynapad on top of Dyamax
Purchase black carpet/install carpet
Assemble Megasquirt II/ Install Megasquirt
Tune Megasquirt
Install new trim components
Finish rear Wilwood Brakes

I also want to install all new engine seals/gaskets on the White GT including head gasket.

Way too many things to do for Summer; I’ll pick and choose.
Walt liked this
By GT4LIFE
Posts Avatar
I geared out couple days ago. I got see what a newer version of the Honda Civic Type R will do while doing so. It is a weird feeling to gear out in car when you come on it quickly. The type R has a lot higher top speed then I could go, but in a rally race I believe I would have had the upper hand by quite a bit. I would like to get my hands eventually on the larger frame transmission. Four weeks of work left for the year, and then I can get to some car stuff. I’ll start will the rear suspension koni struts, and the new Moog front lower control arms with poly bushings of course and then re-align and try out those Yokahama ad502 for Summer.
Walt liked this
By GT4LIFE
Posts Avatar
I’m free for the summer. I want to dig in and get the parts on hand installed. I have a lot of other projects and also want to relax at the same time. Hopefully, I will get quite a bit done here in the next couple weeks. I’ll update as I go with pictures.
macuserman, gt4tified, Walt liked this
By GT4LIFE
Posts Avatar
I started a little side project which was building a 12 × 10 (8 foot walls) shed which I badly need for yard equipment. Framing is mostly done, but I need to get the roof and concrete in shortly. I wanted the overhead A frame for storing lumber and didn’t want a garage door to make the attic space inaccessible so I looked into a roll up door. Unfortunately, they cost just a much to ship to the west coast as the actual door and couldn’t find a local vendor. I settle for a French door which will still allow me to fit my Suzuki in there if I needed to store it or do some light repairs and maintenance. The farm shop isn’t always open and is as dirty as all hell (if I clean it down I come back and it is just as messy next time).

Yesterday, I did get the Black GT into the farm shop and first order was to disassemble the front end and pull the turbo manifold. The welds did not hold and had broken and cracked through my last day home from my work commute. I got it off and back to the machine shop to be re-welded/ and make sure it is back purged this time with argon. This time I left it bolted onto a scrap DOHC head so it hopefully won’t warp. They won’t get to it until next week.

This leaves me with some time to get to some of the other upgrades. The plan for today is:

New Moog front control arms with new poly bushings
Koni Yellow Sport rear struts
Burn out the spare engine mounts to be prepped for powder coating.

Check rear right Wilwood bracket to make sure I know what needs to be changed on it.

Next day:
If I can get everything together for powder coating today and off to the powder coaters that will be awesome.

Front intercooler brackets
engine mounts
front license bracket
front bumper mount (depends on price)
vertical hood mount
front brake brackets/rear brackets
Walt liked this
By GT4LIFE
Posts Avatar
What was planned and what is reality (see above for planned).

Day 1: threw my back out
Day 5: Finally got the new control arms on with new poly bushings, and greased the sway bar bushings.

I also have the entire turbo setup off. My exhaust leak turned out to be a badly cracking turbo manifold. I have it in a heat clean up tank, and tomorrow I will prep it to be re-welded. It needed more heat and and 2nd pass that is back purged with argon. I’ll cut the flange free and grind down all the welds. Not what I wanted to do.

I took my front brake brackets off to have them powder coated. I took off additional 3/32″ to account for the powder coating and so I can perfectly center them over the disc. They were off 1 mm before.

I gathered the spare engine mounts and I’m going down to the shop to burn them out to be powdered coated.
By macuserman
GT4LIFE wrote:

I gathered the spare engine mounts and I’m going down to the shop to burn them out to be powdered coated.

I need to clean out my mounts so I can put in my new poly bushings as well, I’d love to see some pictures when you do this and an idea of how much of a pain this is to clean out the old mounts.
By GT4LIFE
Posts Avatar
macuserman wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:09 am
GT4LIFE wrote:

I need to clean out my mounts so I can put in my new poly bushings as well, I’d love to see some pictures when you do this and an idea of how much of a pain this is to clean out the old mounts.

I got the engine mounts cleaned out today. It was a pain in the ass. I’ll try to grab some pictures before I bring them in to be powder coated. I tried to just spray/ soak down with penetrating fluid and then press the metal liner out first, but no luck. The liner is so thin that is hard to find the exact socket or diameter fitting to make good contact. You do have to remove the metal liner along with the rubber. After failing with the press I burned out the rubber pretty easy with a acetylene torch. I tried my best not to start them on fire and just heat the outside and then just punch the rubber out with a hammer. It is a super quick development between melting rubber and burning rubber. Boy they stink once they are on fire. I was 1 for 3 on not starting on fire. Once the centers were out I heat the outside to try and break free the liners. The torch I used was not in the farm shop and so they were allowed to cool down before getting them back to the press. I managed to press one of the liners out. I think if I would have had the torch in the shop next to the press I would have got all three. The last two I used my sawzall blade and carefully cut through a single spot in the liner. I then used a sharp metal chisel and pried up liner which will force it out after a few good whacks with a 10 lbs hammer.

I had a spare engine mount for all three. I ended up using the passenger mount from my 92 since it is slightly different than the 89 spare I had. It has the rubber top on it with an extra square chunk of metal that anchors to that. Since I couldn’t press it out and had to use heat I sliced this weight/ maybe bump stop off with blade first. I’m planning on attaching it with window weld polyurethane.
By macuserman
Yuck, I was afraid of this, I don’t have a press, all I have is a little handheld propane torch, hammer and chisel, well I do have a sawzal, but I don’t’ want to mess up the metal on the mounts themselves. Fortunately I have a set of mounts that are pulled off already from my 93GT that I can work with, it sounds like you discovered some slight differences in the mounts between years?
Knock sensor

USDM market never had them.

Knock Sensor ??

new job

been caught up rather easily every day, for the la[…]

92 Black GT

I put a few hours in to the turbo ram horn manifol[…]