By macuserman
So I thought I knew all about the intakes with basically 3 different factory styles:
Early 89-90 or 91? Ish style with the bolt on EFI plate.
Later model style without the bolt on EFI plate.
And of course the much sought after Cultus Intake.

But I was looking at some documentation on the haltech site and I noticed that the picture they have showed the MAF mounted right at the end of the intake. I was like wait a minute how is the MAF mounted on top of the intake I got to taking a closer look and I found more examples of that style online as well.
And it appears to also use a different airbox which makes sense if the MAF isn’t located right off the airbox.

Anyhow it made me curious I’m probably super late to this observation, but does anyone know which models came with this different style intake? It made me wonder if it would be possible to use that MAF housing from one of these on a cultus intake to free up more room there where the air filter goes. Probably not enough room, it looks like the intake that uses these is squished over to the right side.
By macuserman
It’s almost like the MAF is built into the throttle body. So strange, I’ve never seen anyone post anything about having this style of setup.
By bostssgt
Posts Avatar
these are from mk1 gti from overseas and you dont want them because the hole is smaller, don’t remember diamter sorry
ans there is jdm version with the throttle body is mounted other side (aka groups A reverse manifold) but this is not “group A” this jdm 1987.5 cultus gti
macuserman liked this
By macuserman
bostssgt wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:58 pm

these are from mk1 gti from overseas and you dont want them because the hole is smaller, don’t remember diamter sorry
ans there is jdm version with the throttle body is mounted other side (aka groups A reverse manifold) but this is not “group A” this jdm 1987.5 cultus gti

Ah the MK1 I always forget about those, this makes a lot more sense now. I never knew they were different.
fireflyse liked this
By gt4tified
Posts Avatar
Before I start my own thread, I thought I’d continue the conversation here. For those who have turbo’d a DOHC G13b, are there any flow issue with the stock intake manifold, in terms of any of the cylinders leaning out more than the others due to lower volumetric efficiency? And would it be ok to keep the OEM throttle body for forced induction, or should I do like with my n/a build and go with the SR20 throttle body mod? I’m not sure that even with port matching of the manifold whether it may cause some turbulence issues. Would love to hear you learned guys chime in on this.
macuserman liked this
By GT4LIFE
Posts Avatar
No reason to do away with the stock intake throttle body. If you are just shooting for a dyno queen then sure why not.
gt4tified liked this
By gt4tified
Posts Avatar
GT4LIFE wrote:

No reason to do away with the stock intake throttle body. If you are just shooting for a dyno queen then sure why not.

I hear you. So I’m guessing the use of a larger TB really only benefits a naturally aspirated engine. Any thoughts as to the question regarding the manifold?
Knock sensor

USDM market never had them.

Knock Sensor ??

new job

been caught up rather easily every day, for the la[…]

92 Black GT

I put a few hours in to the turbo ram horn manifol[…]