Place for chatting and discussing anything unrelated to swifts.
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
been caught up rather easily every day, for the last 3 days….been repairing mowers , for shop re-sale….well, at least one for re-sale….the next one i checked had a bent crank-shaft. had an engine that a customer gave us, said it was good…easy swap ! nope, that crank was bent as well.
just remember , free doesnt mean good !!!
so i just junked that mower, stripped it down for parts / scrap steel. grabbed another one, did the same thing. there are 12 mowers that i keep moving in and out , every day….maybe only 2 of them are for repair / resale….the others all have damaged engines….
i just dont have the shelf space for random parts…but winter is coming, and i will need the room for snowblowers…

and its been stupid hot, inside and outside of that shop i work at….yesterday, 41 c outside, 31 inside…. :sick:
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
had a customer that called the shop, complaint that his lawntractor wasnt fixed properly….it came in needing a carb and mower deck service, i did that, but he was adamant that he do everything else.
then he wanted a service call, cuz it wasnt working properly….weird, it worked fine when i tested all the functions at the shop…?? boss said no to the service call, '‘ we are the new owners, and we dont do that like the previous owner’'

so the tractor showed up, and it did have an issue…electrical issue….in the safety switches. the owner had by-passed the seat safety switch, but there was an intermittent issue with one of the other switches…
went thru the switches, front to back- and guess what? one of the rear switches had a pinched wire from the forward /neutral/ reverse lever…the wire would short to ground and shut the mower down ( when the blades were turned on)

took a picture of the pinched/ chaffed wire, cut out the damaged section, and repaired with crimp and shrink-tube, then re-routed wire away from the shift lever area.
test ran mower again, no issues, worked properly, the intermittent cutting out was gone….

the owner is going to be mad…he loudly stated that he will not pay for any repairs, since he already had it at the shop two weeks earlier…but this had NOTHING to do with what i worked on.
he will get a bill. 30 day warranty only covers what i worked on- that was the carb, and sharpening the mower blades…
some people… :laugh:
Walt liked this
By fireflyse
Custom Custom Avatar
blueturbofly wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:24 am

he will get a bill. 30 day warranty only covers what i worked on- that was the carb, and sharpening the mower blades…

In the trade we called that “ever since”.
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
fireflyse wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:33 pm
blueturbofly wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:24 am

In the trade we called that “ever since”.

the boss isnt going to charge him for the repair. it took me a whopping 5 minutes, and 50 cents of shop supplies….so this customer had better be happy with it.
'‘ever since ’' customers can be a real pain in the ass…. :x
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
been caught up every day last week, only one mower came in on friday…so i swept my entire area, washed my greasy floor mats, stripped out 3 more mowers for parts, and fixed 2 for re-sale….
a lady was supposed to come in and purchase a snowblower on thursday…..but she never showed. so i have 2 nice fully serviced snow-blowers , ready to go…
a pile (50 +) of grass whippers that the boss wants me to fix….ONCE AGAIN, i had to tell him that they are not worth fixing, good for parts only…he doesnt seem to get it. i need to start stripping them out, but dont have the room for spare parts, let alone organizing the parts…its not a very big shop, or well laid out, for that matter ….
their parts inventory system needs to be brought into the 21st century…sure, they have inventory on a computer, but when they sell something, that item doesnt get removed from inventory automatically…all by human….and there are parts in the bins, that are 10+ years old, and parts that are not accounted for, or that '‘dont exist’'
i have been making gaskets for tecumseh mowers, was told you cant get new ones…found a bag of 10 in one of the parts bins, the bag # is good, but not written on the bin itself, so NOBODY had a clue that we had them…lots of parts in the bins, either in the wrong spot, or not in the system…

and inventory was done about a month ago, and stuff is mixed up even more. doesnt help that the boss has a habit of putting the parts back in the wrong bins….
but, i am the mechanic, not the parts guy…but it is still really annoying, the solution is there, but they are too lazy to implement it… :-/
Walt liked this
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
again, almost all caught up at work on friday :P one open ticket
the boss bought a trash pump, and a extra engine, for me to fix and for him to re-sell for BIG MONEY BIG MONEY at the next auction….
sure, i get the engine running great, but cant test the pump side… it has 3 inch cam-lock connectors, which i dont have, plus i need a large tote of water, to feed the pump, plus some 3 inch hose, and then build a hose set-up so i can test pump….this pump can move 300 gallon per minute.
people dont get rid of good working trash pumps for dirt cheap, unless there is something wrong with them…its usually the pump side, and the majority of them you need to smash the impeller off, so the pump housing can be removed, to either replace the '‘mechanical seal’' on the pump, or the crank seal on the engine. big work. :bored:

and the engine he bought ? only fits a pump…and its OLD….so, yeah..the right buyer needs to purchase it…

the one boss reminds me of a greasy used car salesman… :laugh: but he is clueless, all he sees are dollar bills when fixing/ selling stuff….but his last few auction deals he has lost money…slow learner :laughing:
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
the boss bought a different truck for his kid, cuz the chevy needed more work…so he dumped ANOTHER $1400 + for a transmission…

so, the cheap truck he bought his kid, is now over $12,000 :-o

work has been steady, not crazy busy like a few weeks ago…but winter is coming….
usually caught up every day with invoices, need to strip out 4 more mowers to get more room for winter…
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
only 4 items came in yesterday, easy fixes…recoil for a line move (irrigation unit ) , recoil on a whipper, carb job on a whipper, and a pressure washer ,under warranty, from b.c
the pressure washer warranty claim stated '‘will not start’' - so i do the usual checklist..spark, valves, oil, fuel. units are shipped without gas, and sometimes no oil-its hit and miss what they drain out, before shipping.
well, the oil was very milky…water in engine oil. they did have some fuel in the carb bowl, or should i say WATER :-o

yeah, they dont run on water, the water goes in the pump, not fuel tank, or engine crank-case
remove and double check carb, clean but wet from water, blow it out, change engine oil, add some fresh GASOLINE and 3rd pull it fired up
let it run with the pump hooked up and making good pressure, checked oil level and no water intrusion from pump ( that wouldnt happen anyways due to the pump design )
um- no warranty on water in oil, or water in carb…thats customer abuse / neglect

so i had time yesterday, stripped out 8 engines and 5 mowers. saved the parts that are worth saving, tossed the plastics in the trash, put the metals in the pile for the scrap yard trip next week.
get more organized for the winter rush.
Walt, fireflyse liked this
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
wow i got 17 dead engines stripped and in a pile…didnt think there were that many, but i kept digging old engines out from under the shelf, that had been there for 10 or more years…stuff that was already old 10 years ago !! :laughing:

there might be some changes at work . money has gone missing, and the two bosses arent getting along very well, the one boss doesnt seem to think its that big of a deal that he cant account for the missing money…. he has been given a deadline to repay it.
so yeah, always some drama…. :-o

FYI, https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/d/bor[…]

Redlinegti?

I saw yesterday that it was down. Hopefully it wi[…]

new job

so, the guy picked up his dirt auger yesterday...a[…]

Casper 2.0

I got underneath with a 14mm ratchet wrench and re[…]