Place for chatting and discussing anything unrelated to swifts.
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
Getswifty wrote:

Do you have 89-94 dohc valve cover?

these are air cooled one cylinder engines…no valve covers

and no twincam covers either ;-)
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
same chainsaw has returned for the third time- same issue, runs for about a minute, then dies, wont re-start…has been gone thru every time, but customer has been told that the engine is worn out….it has poor compression when cold, and even less when it heats up…sure, you can start it when its cold, then hold it full throttle with no issues; once warm and you let the throttle off, it just drops to an idle and shuts off… then wont restart….its like the spark plug has been removed, the recoil pulls the engine over VERY easy… :-o

the customer always makes the statement '‘ but its a good saw ’'

um, the saw is 20, maybe even 30 years old…stuff does wear out…

had a stihl chainsaw just before that, engine was really stiff to rotate…finally got it rotating good, it was coughing then came to life, let it idle to warm it up to tune carb, but i didnt even get to do that …had it at full throttle, to adjust the top end settings, but then all of a sudden it just locked up….and was extremely hot… the engine must have had previous heat damage…
chainsaws are filthy noisy machines…

been gettiing alot of '‘end of season’' neglected equipment…esp after the long week-end….and stuff that looks like its been stored outside for the last 10 + years…

did one tune up, and was talking to the customer when they picked it up, he mentioned that he had a place in redcliff tune it up, and it didnt seem to run any better…i only know of one place out there.. finally the customer said it was home hardware… so i mentioned to him that this last summer i have done alot of '‘rework’' from home hardware…and that pete needs to retire, he doesnt care about his quality of work he puts out, and it shows.

i am not bad-mouthing the guy, just telling people the truth.

i treat every piece of equipment that i work on, as if it were my own …to an extent, of course.
i hate having comebacks, especially if i try to cut corners, and it kicks me in the ass with a return item… :laugh:
Walt liked this
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
customer called about his chainsaw….was upset…said that every mechanic that he has taken it to, says the same thing-'‘its worn out’'
but he cant believe me- '‘how can it be worn out , when it starts and runs? ’'

i dont know what other places it has been to, all i know its been in my hands 3 times in the last 2 weeks :laugh: and its been worn out every time i look at it. taking something thats worn out, to a different mechanic, will not yield different results…
this guy told my boss that '‘your mechanic doesnt know what hes talking about’'

once again, if you are going to critique me, you had better be as good or better than me.

ask the customer where they work , then tell them that you dont go to their work and tell them how to do their job, so why do you do that here?

people on the outside looking in have no clue as to what is really going on. it gets annoying, and funny, at the same time.

and peoples sense of time is terrible. have a dirt auger come in AGAIN. i worked on it last year ? i think? earlier this year i fixed the recoil (in the spring?) and that was a freebie repair…
this guy brings his stuff in, and expects me to drop what i am doing, and fix his…old , abused, neglected shit…cheap ass farmer type of guy…
'‘you guys just worked on it, and now its not running’'
he came in with it last week- complaining it wouldnt start- '‘ i pulled and pulled and it wont start’' so after he says that, he gives it a pull, and it fires up :laugh: making him look like a clown
so he throws it back in his truck…i cant fix it, if it isnt broken. but it came back on thursday…the owner was mad. went right into the bosses office, and started chewing out the boss, complaining that '‘ i drove 4 hours to auger holes and it didnt want to start’'- what are you going to do about it?

its not my fault, or the shops, that it doesnt run…i did not do any engine work to it. but he expected the boss to reimburse him for his 4 hours of lost time…?????

so, i tried starting it yesterday. bad fuel tank grommet, bad / cracked fuel lines, cracked fuel tank, fuel very old/ stale /stinky, very dirty fuel tank, extra fuel filter installed on RETURN fuel line to tank (improper)
it was so flooded with fuel. removed spark plug (it was already loose, not by me ) and used compressed air to dry out cylinder and spark plug. there was so much fuel in the cylinder it was like fog coming out of the exhaust…
i did get it running, but it would only start if you held the throttle wide open…would not idle. so, pull the carb….and it was FILTHY AND GUMMED UP INSIDE….something terrible. had to soak the carb to get it clean….got the carb kit and all assembled, but i ran out of time…will install it monday, and see if it lives…
i doubt the owner will want a gas tank….its over $110, and may not be available…they stopped making robin / subaru engines a few years ago
but on these small engines, they rely on fuel tank pressure and a sealed, pressurized fuel system…with a pinhole in the tank, it may not run properly… :doubt:
Walt liked this
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
so, the guy picked up his dirt auger yesterday…and was not happy that he had to pay another bill…plus he was mad that it didnt start the instant he pulled on the recoil …that it didnt start, without priming the carb, or turning it on… :laugh:
i told him, that he would not have been called, if it wasnt fixed and running…

so, at first, he refused to take it, saying it wasnt fixed…he pulled and pulled on the recoil, no start…then i mention about priming the carb, and the kill switch…
so, he primes the carb, twice…. not enough to bring the fuel from the tank to the carb…i could not see fuel in the fuel lines yet…so he yanks on it a few more times, then tells me its not fixed….he passes the auger to me, and i press the primer bulb until i can feel it fill up / see fuel passing thru the fuel lines…like 10 15 times-and on the second pull it fired right up.
but then he still didnt want to take it. i passed it back to him, he shut if off, and restarted it at least 3 times and held it at full throttle each time, but then he was still worried about getting it home and it not starting…
i told him that i did the best i could do for it.

he was mad, because '‘i just had it in last fall ’' :-o THAT WAS A YEAR AGO !! and he even admitted to it just sitting all year, with gas in it…
of course it will need a carb job, if you let it sit all year not being used…the jets are tiny in those small carbs and get plugged easily, from bad fuel to garbage in the tank…the fuel filter doesnt stop all of it…

so, i was done dealing with him. i walked up front, and sent both bosses back there to deal with him. they gave him the complete run-down on the bill, and then the one boss told him that '‘ maybe we just cant meet your level of expectations for a repair shop, and you should find someone else to fix your stuff ’'…nice.
:laugh:
Walt liked this
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
its been pretty slow at work, not much coming in, the '‘lull’' from fall to winter… people dont need to cut grass, but the snow isnt here yet…only 4 snow blowers last week…
so, i have been dis-assembling string trimmers, and gen-sets. stuff that isnt worth fixing, or parts are nla… been filling a smaller wooden tote with stripped two-stroke engines…i have separate boxes for all the '‘cherry’' parts that i have saved.
i didnt want to do it this way, its easier if i leave them all assembled , then i know what parts i have, and what fits what…now i will have boxes with all sorts of parts in them…at least they are sorted by part type, and individually labelled for easier reference….
99.9 % of these trimmers are junk ( bad engines) and if i get them stripped out quick enough, i wont have to try and repair them. the boss thinks its a goldmine of trimmers worth big $$$$ if they are fixed…..i have explained it to him, the parts guy has explained to him, that some of the parts to fix these trimmers, cost more than what the trimmer is worth ….then explain to him about parts and labor, and he gets a confused look on his face….
just like recently, he bought some stuff from facecrack, had me tune them up and then took the items to the auction….sold the items for not much more than what he paid for them. and he didnt factor in the parts and my time for tuning them up…or the gas money for picking up items, then taking items to the auction…
everything adds up.
he lost THE SHOP money….he used a company check to buy the stuff from facecrack….
smart like brick :P
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
all the trimmers are stripped out, i managed to fix 4 of them….out of 50 or more… :P and i try to repair the name brand trimmers…they are the ones worth fixing, as long as it doesnt need a piston & cylinder. maybe a carb kit , carb, or air filter assembly…but after that, it gets to a money loss situation…
geez, one local place is selling NEW gas string trimmers for $88… :-o sure its a no name brand, BUT ITS NEW, HAS WARRANTY…..
fireflyse liked this
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
well, i am down to one boss…the office girl came across some inaccuracies, a few months ago, in the deposits / withdrawals for the bank accounts, to the sum of $5000

when the one partner confronted the other , he brushed it off, acted like nothing happened, claimed he knew nothing about it….yet he was the guy doing the majority of the bank deposits…
it took about a month, but the one boss had everything lined up, from the lawyer to the police and had a game plan…
he was served papers from the lawyer , stating what had happened, and due to him not paying back the monies in a timely fashion, that his half of the business ownership had been terminated.

as it turns out, he was only a '‘silent partner’' so that changed everything. the one boss only had to pay him out what he paid at the start up of the business, MINUS the $5000 that was owed to the business.
so, now i am down to one boss, and the atmosphere is already better the first day the other guy was gone. the crook was always asking the other owner when they were going to fire the accounting lady….most likely cuz he was guilty, and he could not stand her, cuz he got caught….

apparently he showed up on friday to get his personal items, and he was crying his eyes out….i wasnt there to witness it…

the last few weeks cominhg up to this, he was acting weird…he was the first one in the door, but he would always make a beeline straight to the register, to count the float….
he started leaving earlier from work….like at 3 pm or earlier…we are open until 5…he would buy stuff from facecrack, then bring it back to the shop, for me to fix, then re-sell at the aution…..BUT he used company cheques to pay for items, but when they sold at the auction, he would get the auction to pay him by cheque, but not in the company name, in his personal name…thats a red flag right there !!
he was always looking at stuff, for me to patch up and flip..and i always told him that there is no time, or money, in flipping that stuff…i am too busy with paying customers, fixing the stuff that comes in…he just didnt get it.
he wasnt the brightest crayon in the box…
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
oh and they changed the locks, the security codes, and the camera codes…that guy can no longer spy on us anymore…it was annoying that he would always watch us… and he even admitted to watching us , on several occasions…
even the day he got '‘fired’', he was at the hospital…and watching what was going on around the shop…asking why the accounting girl was at the keypad of the security system…

and i didnt want it, but i got a key, and the security access code…
Walt, fireflyse liked this
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
last week a guy dropped off 2 boxes and a bag of parts….a horizontal 16 hp briggs twin cylinder ….some shop looked at it a few towns away, and gave him the bad news…
so, he brings it in, expecting a different result? the definition of insanity…'‘doing the exact same thing twice, and expecting different results’'

this engine has a bad crank, bad rod, and who knows what else. parts are nla thru the briggs parts warehouse. these engines dont use crank bearings, so the complete rod needs to be replaced…

then there is the engine wear, itself. can feel a ridge in the cylinders. so, it needs a bore job…but those cast liners dont look so thick…
and then, the valves…and the cam has rust all over it…pistons have severe scuffing on the skirts…

i REFUSE to install new rings onto old pistons, into worn out cylinders…that will just turn into an oil burner, and make me and the shop look bad.

so the guy calls yesterday, and asks if its fixed… UMM, WHAT ???? we cant get parts. so, the gut finds new old stock parts , on ebay, and sends the boss pictures , asking if they will fit…a crank and gasket kit…
but
i told the boss to tell him he ALSO needs rods & oversize pistons , if the cylinders could be bored out…plus any roller bearings, plus any valve work /valves /valve seats..
this guy would be better off finding another running engine. plus, its a puzzle of parts…the other shop only had to drop the lower cover, and pull a rod cap to see the damage….NOT dis-assemble the entire engine ! :-/
fireflyse liked this
By fireflyse
Custom Custom Avatar
Gee I sure hope you have a nice day there some time soon, it seems you bump into a lot of stupid people.
new job

oh and a snowblower, that came in tuesday....carb […]

Suzuki Sport Horn Buttons

Is the price still holding at $85 plus shipping?[…]

I just got the right size ends to go from whatever[…]

Good save! Sun roof would be nice.